Yesterday, Rob, Roberto, Eliana and I drove to Cincinnati for Eliana's second chemo treatment. Her blood counts from Tuesday's draw came back high enough so she could receive chemo this week. We were a little concerned that her virus from last week would make her counts too low but we were happy to hear that they were high enough to receive treatment. Everything went great with the exception of having to wait for a few hours to get started since the hospital installed new computers two weeks ago and they were still trying to figure out the new system.
The actual chemo treatment only takes about 3 hours. First, Eliana's port is accessed and she receives one hour of prehydration through an IV, after that she has one hour and 5 minutes of chemotherapy. The last hour is just observation so that they can make sure there is no allergic reaction and that she is doing ok.
She did fantastic and she was extremely strong. During her treatment, she watched her favorite cartoon, Elmo, and played with her toys and took a little nap on mom's lap. Many doctors and nurses came to visit with her, examine her and play with her. They were very pleased with how she looked this week compared to last week.
While the girls did the hard stuff, the boys, Rob and Roberto, had some fun. First Rob had a business appointment in Cincinnati and then took Roberto to the bookstore and went to a place called Gameworks which is an indoor play place with games and such. Roberto won toys for himself and his baby sister. It was wonderful to be reunited at 7pm and drive home. Even though it was a long day, it was much easier than having to spend nights in the hospital.
Eliana had a great night last night and as a matter of fact is enjoying a late morning of sleeping in.
I want to mention how wonderful it was that on the drive up, we stopped at the kids favorite restaurant, McDonald's and had lunch in the car. Many thanks to our dear friends and neighbors for the generous gift cards that we were able to use.
Thank you so much for your comments and messages! We love to hear from who is stopping by to check on Eliana. Please be sure to let us know that you were here in the comments section.
Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God's love commits me here. Ever this day be at my side, to light and guard, to rule and guide. AMEN.
Love you back more,
Mary Beth
Friday, January 22, 2010
Second Chemo Completed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
So happy to hear the great news!! Eliana is such a brave and strong little girl!
Love, hugs and FROG (Fully Rely On God)!!
xoxo
I have a blog too (jkdidio.blogspot.com) so I will definately be following yours! The blog world is a great outlet for you to express your thoughts and emotions when it is sometimes hard to speak. Please know that you guys are in our thoughts and prayers. We love you all!!!
Jennifer
Mary Beth, those kids are beautiful. You guys are in our prayers. Don't hesitate to call if you need anything.
Sheri
Thanks for the update and the good news. We are praying for Eliana and you guys on a daily basis. Please be strong and reach out to us if you need ANYTHING! We are glad God brought us together as friends.
Love,
Chet, Julie, and Jackson
Glad to hear this wonderful news about Eliana's 2nd chemo treatment! Also glad Cincinnati's treating you all well ;-)
P.S. I love the pictures! What a beautiful family!!!
We got to see little Ellie today and she looked GREAT!! She wanted to eat- in fact she said "Mommy, EAT", and while Mary Beth stalled as long as she could - she finally succumbed to the Princess's demand! It was nice to see her hungry and having fun playing!
Great to see you all today and fingers crossed for a healthy and uneventful week :)!!
Love,
The Robinsons
Glad to hear this week went well. She is such a strong girl. We love you guys and are always here. Prayers coming daily!!!
The Buono Family
I'm so glad you are doing this blog! I was going to suggest it as I follow another family on "CaringBridge". You are one step ahead! Sounds like you are getting your feet underneath you. Funny what becomes the new "normal". I'll check in here and keep in touch other ways. Call if you need me! Prayers from Fort Wayne!
Sherwood Family,
I am so happy to hear that Eliana's 2nd treatment went well. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. May GOD look over you all and keep you safe.
Jason Elmore
Please let us know what we can do. We are all thinking and prayering for each of you!! I pray this week goes well, too.
I had so much fun playing with Ellie and Roberto last night. Fingers crossed and prayers for Thursday. I love you guys.
I am so glad Eliana's chemo went well...You guys are in my thoughts and prayers ALL the time...I love your saying "I love you back more". I say that to G all the time and she's started saying "I love you back all the more"...so that's what I say to you...you feel like our family and if you need anything we are just a phone call away..
Mary Beth,
I had NO idea. I am so sorry to hear about this. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers! Prayer is a powerful thing...PLEASE let us know if we can do anything for you guys, anytime day or night. And if Sassy needs a walk, and you need her out of your hair, I am your girl! Wishing you guys bright and sunny days ahead!
Your neighbors,
Becca, Matt, and Eli
What AWESOME, AWESOME news! I got a tear in my eye just reading this. You all deserve this wonderful news about your sweet Eliana! God is good!
The prayers for all of you will continue.
Love to all,
Lynda
Post a Comment